"Beautiful"

This is my latest piece for my acrylic painting class. You have to guess what it means before I tell you what I think it means.

K, this is what the painting means to me: If you enlarge the image you can see that it is painted on a dictionary page with the word "beautiful" on it. The word beautiful is on her shirt, where her heart would be. So, this perfectly lovely girl is cutting off her love-handles to conform with what the media tells her is beautiful. She is willing to harm herself and cut into herself to get to that. I think it's sad that the media convinces gorgeous women that they are not quite perfect, that they need to harm themselves to become perfect. I wanted this picture to show how sad that is that many girls and women feel the way this girl feels.

And this is one of my first digitally-made art pieces. It had to depict the words of a fortune from a fortune cookie. I definitely prefer to draw and paint by hand than digitally but it's a good thing to learn.

4 comments:

  1. Love that picture! Reminded me of the Beautiful campaign we started (recapturingbeauty.byu.edu) If you wanted I wonder if they could use your art to advertise or sell to people to get your name out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am obsessed with the fortune cookie one!! I also love the message you are sharing in the first one. I feel really strongly about that. My show is sort of along similar lines...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the beautiful one. You have some serious talent annie. I love your stuff.

    ReplyDelete